On 12/20/2009 2:59 PM, Stef Mientki wrote:
Benjamin Kaplan wrote:
On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Stef Mientki <stef.mien...@gmail.com>
wrote:
hello,

I've just upgraded my system from Python 2.5 to 2.6.4,
and installed the latest packages of a lot of libraries.

Now one essential package (VPython) only works with Python 2.6.2.
I tried to install Python 2.6.2 over this 2.6.4 installation,
and indeed the readme file says it's 2.6.2,
but the python and pythonw are still 2.6.4.
Why is that so ??

Now assume that a number of packages (because compiled with 2.6.4)
will not
work correctly with 2.6.2.
Is that correct ?

2.6.4 is just a bugfix release- it's binary compatible with the other
2.6 releases. So any package that worked under 2.6.2 shouid also work
under 2.6.4 unless a new bug was introduced or it relied on a bug that
was fixed. And any package that works under 2.6.4 will also work under
2.6.2 without recompiling unless it hits one of the bugs that was
fixed.
thanks Benjamin,

Then VPython must hit one of the bugs that were fixed.
On a second machine,
- I removed Python 2.6.4 (without removing all other libraries)
- installed Python 2.6.2 (without reïnstalling all the libraries)
and indeed the VPython library works as expected.

So I guess this is a reasonable approach,
and all libraries should work well,
unless one of these libraries has a work around for one of the bugs
fixed between 2.6.2 and 2.6.4.

Let VPython people know about this problem. People should be able to run it on the latest patched 2.6.