Roy Smith wrote:
In article <hi2o39$hm...@news.eternal-september.org>,
 "W. eWatson" <wolftra...@invalid.com> wrote:

Is there a smallish Python library of basic astronomical functions? There are a number of large such libraries that are crammed with excessive functions not needed for common calculations.

FWIW, if you have any interest in this kind of stuff, you must read the classic book on the subject:

http://www.amazon.com/Astronomical-Formulae-Calculators-Jean-Meeus/dp/094339
6220

This is not some textbook which takes graduate level physics to understand. It's a straight-forward primer for people who want to use calculators to compute phase of the moon and stuff like that.
Thanks, but I'm quite familiar with it. My copy is some 10-15 years old. I suspect he never wrote a newer edition for any computer language. I do have access to a C++ library, but I don't think that's going to do me much good with Python.

My problem at the moment is finding either someone who has implemented it or another similar module.

Note I posted just before you that I have found a siderial.py module, but am not familiar with how one installs them or the doc mechanism.