On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 16:48:52 -0800 (PST), casevh <cas...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Jan 9, 3:10 pm, pdlem...@earthlink.net wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 13:27:07 -0800 (PST), casevh <cas...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>
>1) Try the commands again. Make sure all the "./configure" options are
>on one line. Make sure to do "sudo make altinstall". (Don't use "sudo
>make install"; it will give your version of Python the name "python"
>and that can cause confusion on your system.)
>
>2) Move your applications to another directory.
>
>3) Try running "python3.1" while you are in that directory.
>
>If this doesn't work, report back on the error messages you receive.

Thanks casevh for your time & patience.
The ./configure . . .  was a "continuous" line , although it ran over to
next line even on 132 char wide terminal because of names of system &
dir.  I was careful with the spaces and hyphens.
In my reply the "make install" was a typo , I did run  make altinstall.

Moved all my code to pycode dir on my home directory.  Removed all
files from /usr/local/lib/python3.1/dlmodules and removed that dir.

Twice ran the recompile :
    make distclean
    ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-computed-gotos
            --with-wide-unicode
        <^ one space>
    make
    sudo make altinstall
After each reinstall had same problems :  cannot import  random  or
any code using it, although random.py is in Lib :
    Traceback
        File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
        File "random.py", line 46, in <module>
            import collections as _collections
        File "collections.py", line 9 in <module>
            from _collections import deque, default dict
    ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python3.1/lib-dynload/collections.so:
        undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_FromString

After second reinstall today I also found that a module importing
    "time"  would not run.  Likewise could not import  time  at  >>> .
Same error, ending : undefined symbol: PyUnicode UCS4_FromString

And my original problem still there : fouled up keys in interactive
terminal. Seems minor now ; )   Should I try to remove everything
and reopen the tarball ?
Dave WB3DWE,  central Texas