* Steven D'Aprano:
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 23:47:31 +0100, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:

PS: Next time it would have helped to include a URL to the issue.

    http://bugs.python.org/issue7681

    FYI there is already some feedback in the tracker.
Yeah, someone who had the bright idea that maybe there isn't a bug,
thinking instead that maybe a "wrong" name in *a comment* might be the
culprit  --  of all things!

He was probably just trying to be helpful.

But what do you say to someone who tries to help but is really just
making a mess of things?

Before pointing out the mote in another person's eye, you should consider the enormous beam in yours. You initially reported a completely bogus error (NameError: name 'framerate' is not defined) and Brian responded to that.

I don't know why you're claiming he was responding to a name that was commented out, when you included a traceback clearly showing that the line was executed.

No, the out-commented line was not executed and was not shown in any traceback.

Comments are not executed.

If we're supposed to think Brian "is really just making a mess of things" (your words) for responding to incorrect information, what are we supposed to think of the person who submitted the incorrect information in the first place?

I'm sorry but you're trying to make people believe something that you know is false, which is commonly called lying.

The error report included the line numbers of the buggy lines, plus a correction of the output: I first pasted incorrect error message, then corrected that *immediately*. But I just found no way to edit the original message, so both that and the correction ended up present. The correction with "Sorry, here's the correct message", or words to that effect. In the one and only original submission.

So it's not like the person responding should have any problem at all, and it's not like he was presented with incorrect information. To top it off he did not respond to the output that was corrected. He believed the problem was a name in a comment.

I think you need to chill out and stop treating a simple bug report as a personal slight on you.

I'm sorry but you're again trying to make people believe something that you know is false, which is commonly called lying: it is not the case that I have strong feelings or any feelings at all about that bug report or any other.

But you're starting to annoy me.

I think it's OK when you respond to technical issues where you have misunderstood something basic, even when you do that by assertion, as you usually do (it would be better if you just asked about things that you don't understand). But it's not OK when you're trying to create impressions that are false, and it's not OK when you try to demonstrate telepathic powers and discuss others' emotions and motivations. I tell you straight.

- Alf