pyt...@bdurham.com wrote:
I need to parse some ASCII text into 'word' sized chunks of text AND collect the whitespace that seperates the split items. By 'word' I mean any string of characters seperated by whitespace (newlines, carriage returns, tabs, spaces, soft-spaces, etc). This means that my split text can contain punctuation and numbers - just not whitespace. The split( None ) method works fine for returning the word sized chunks of text, but destroys the whitespace separators that I need. Is there a variation of split() that returns delimiters as well as tokens?
I'd use the re module:

>>> import re
>>> re.split(r'(\s+)', "Hello world!")
['Hello', ' ', 'world!']