On 2010-02-11 06:31 AM, Shashwat Anand wrote:
Do you really believe that -0.1 ** 0.1 is a valid computational problem
? Can you raise a negative number to a fractional power ?
Output on my console (python 2.6)

 >>> -.1 ** .1
-0.79432823472428149
 >>> a,b = -.1,.1
 >>> a**b
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ValueError: negative number cannot be raised to a fractional power
 >>> -abs(a**b)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ValueError: negative number cannot be raised to a fractional power

There is a little issue here that '>>> -.1 ** .1' should give you error
message. That is it.

No, fractional powers of negative numbers are perfectly valid mathematically. The result is a complex number. In Python 3 (what the OP is using), this has been implemented, but not in Python 2.6.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco