On 3/3/2010 5:56 AM, Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
Eike Welk a écrit :
John Posner wrote:
I've updated the text at this location:

> http://cl1p.net/bruno_0301.rst/

I think this is a very useful writeup!
It would be perfect with a little bit of introduction that says:
1. - What it is: "The rough details of method look-up";
2. - which contains some of the questions that that made that authors
write the text. This way people with similar questions can find it
with Google.

John, do you think you could something with the following ?

Sure thing, Bruno. I'll incorporate/edit your new text below into a Python Wiki entry. The headings in the Documentation table of contents page (http://wiki.python.org/moin/Documentation) seem pretty sober, so I plan to use a straightforward title:

  FromFunctionsToMethods

... instead of the clearly superior ...

  ItsAFunctionItsAMethodItsAUseOfTheDescriptorProtocol

Does this article belong in the "Advanced Topics" section of the page? I'm not sure, but I'll place it there for now. (Alternative suggestions welcome!)

"""
"Is it a function ? is it a method ? No, it's... " - or : What's in a
Python method ?

Python newcomers often have hard time understanding the "magic" behind
Python's methods - and truth is that Python's object model can be a bit
peculiar when compared to most mainstream (or not-so-mainstream) OOPLs.
As a matter of fact, there are quite a few threads on c.l.py with either
direct or indirect questions about what makes a Python method, and I
must have explained the whole mechanism at least 3 or 4 times there. The
following text is an edited version of my last attempt, as edited,
corrected and published by John Posner, MayHisNameBePraised(tm).

This text isn't meant as a replacement for neither the official
FineManual(tm)[XXX : relevant link] nor the very excellent - if somehow
technical - 'Descriptors how-to' [XXX : relevant link]. It's mostly a
brief but hopefully helpful overview of what exactly is a Python method,
and how Python magically inserts the 'self' or 'cls' argument to method
calls.
"""

Feel free to edit / amend / rewrite / trash at will - you're now
officially in charge of publishing this text !-)

Yow, the mantle of responsibility weighs heavily upon my poor shoulders!

Film at 11,
John