TomF a écrit :
I'm interested in improving my python design by studying a large, well-designed codebase. Someone (not a python programmer) suggested Django. I realize that Django is popular, but can someone comment on whether its code is well-designed and worth studying?

Carl makes some valid points in his answer, and there are indeed a couple dark corners in this area - bit it's just a part of the whole framework. There are still things worth studying in Django IHMO, specially if you're interested in seeing metaclasses and descriptors at work.