Ethan Furman wrote:
On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 4:35 PM, James Mills
<prolo...@shortcircuit.net.au> wrote:
On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 12:21 AM, Ed Keith <e_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
To deal with indentation I had to

  1) keep track of indentation of all chunks of code embedded in the
     document and indent inserted chunks to the sum of all the
     indentation of the enclosing chunks.
In my experience of non-indentation sensitive languages
such as C-class (curly braces) it's just as hard to keep track
of opening and closing braces.

Although I have little or no experience with this, I still dare to say
that I don't agree. The difference is that in C you do not _need_ to
know where in the braces-defined hierarchy you are. You just embed or
change a piece of code at the right location. In Python however you
_do_ need to know how far your code is to be indented.

And how do you know where the right location is? You have to figure it out from the different (nested) braces at the 'right' location. For me, at least, it's much easier to get that information from the already indented Python code, as opposed to indenting (and double-checking the indents) on the braces language.

~Ethan~

Much more important to be able to read code reliably than write it quickly.

When I was heavily doing C++ I found myself wishing that incorrect indentation would be an error or at least a warning. And I hadn't ever heard of Python. When I did, I said "About time!"

Of course, I was surrounded by many programmers who ignored any warning that the compiler produced, while I cranked up warnings to max, with pedantic.

On one project I generated C++ code, about 20k lines. And it was all indented and commented. Most of that code went through the code generator twice. The "source" was a header file from outside my organization. The generator used that to create a new header, more detailed. Then the generator used that to create source & headers that were actually used by the project.

DaveA