On 6/30/10 7:14 AM, Jorgen Grahn wrote:
On Tue, 2010-06-29, Stephen Hansen wrote:
On 6/29/10 5:41 AM, Roy Smith wrote:
Nobody<nob...@nowhere.com>   wrote:

And what about regular expressions?

What about them? As the saying goes:

        Some people, when confronted with a problem, think
        "I know, I'll use regular expressions."
        Now they have two problems.

That's silly.  RE is a good tool.  Like all good tools, it is the right
tool for some jobs and the wrong tool for others.

There's nothing silly about it.

It is an exaggeration though: but it does represent a good thing to keep
in mind.

Not an exaggeration: it's an absolute. It literally says that any time
you try to solve a problem with a regex, (A) it won't solve the problem
and (B) it will in itself become a problem.  And it doesn't tell you
why: you're supposed to accept or reject this without thinking.

How can that be a good thing to keep in mind?

That it speaks in absolutes is what makes it an exaggeration. Yes, it literally says something kind of like that (Your 'a' is a mischaracterization).

It's still a very good thing to keep in mind.

Its a "saying" -- a proverb, an expression. Since when are the wise remarks of our ancient forefathers literal? Not last I checked.

Reading into a saying as not a guide or suggestion or cautionary tale but instead a doctrinal absolute is where we run into problems, not in the repeating of them.

--

   ... Stephen Hansen
   ... Also: Ixokai