Peng Yu a écrit :
Hi

I'm still kind of confused about the terminology on classes in python.

Could you please let me know what the equivalent terms for the
following C++ terms?

C++ and Python having very different semantics and object models, there's not necessarily a straight one to one mapping.

constructor

Python uses a smalltalk-like 2 phases instanciation / initialisation scheme. First the "proper" construction (__new__) is called with the class object as first argument, and it must return an unintialised instance of the class. Then the initialiser (__init__) is called on this instance.

Now one usually only implements the initialiser, as the default object.__new__ method does what you would expect, so you'll often see people qualifying __init__ as the constructor.

destructor

Python has no real destructor. You can implement a __del__ method that will _eventually_ be called before the instance gets garbage-collected, but you'd rather not rely on it. Also, implementing this method will prevent cycle detection.

member function

=> method.

Note that Python's "methods" are really thin wrappers around function objects that are attributes of the class object. You'll find more on this here:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/FromFunctionToMethod

member variable

=> Attribute

virtual member function

All Python's methods are virtual.

function

=> function !-)

Note that in Python, functions and classes are objects.

I think that C++ "function" is equivalent to python "function" and C++
"member function" is equivalent to python "method". But I couldn't
locate where the original definitions of the corresponding python
terms in the manual as these term appear many times. Could you please
point me where to look for the definition of these python
corresponding terms?

You just cannot directly translate C++ into Python, and while there are similarities trying to write C++ in Python will not get you very far.