I have a database query result (see code below).  In PHP, I would have said

list(var1,var2,var) = $result

and each element in the list would be assigned to each of the named variables.
I have my data coming out of the database, and I can see it is a list.  so my
question is, instead of having to do the variable assignment as I have it here,
is there a way more like PHP or am I stuck with it?

import sqlite3 as sqlite

try:
        print "connecting to disk db ..."
        conn = sqlite.connect("netcomm.db")
except:
        print "oops"

print "retrieving data"
cursor = conn.cursor()
cursor.execute('select * from net where NetNumber > 0')
list = cursor.fetchone()
print list
print len(list)
for item in list: