On 8/8/2010 4:08 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:
python-Numpy-1.2.0. No scipy anything. Well, this is interesting. I just
noticed Martin v. Loewis on the Python 2.5 entry. That's you, right?

You are conflating so many issues at the same time, it is very
difficult to follow what you are doing.

Concerning the numpy error: you installed a version of scipy which
requires a more recent version of numpy than the one you have. More
concretely, NumpyTest has disappeared since 1.3.0. Unless you have a
good reason not to, I strongly suggest to just use the last released
versions of numpy and scipy (1.4.1 and 0.8.0 respectively).

Note also that Enthought Python Distribution exists to exactly avoid
those issues - they do the packaging hard word so that you don't have
to.

But none of this has anything to do with one character change or portability,

cheers,

David
Believe me I had no intent of expanding this thread beyond looking for a straight and simple insight to Python distribution (portability, whatever) and how to get my partner squared away. The general issue seems to drifted off on its own accord. I find generally that once I've had to post five times on a topic, and haven't gotten a satisfactory answer, I'm not going to get one.

Yes, you are quite correct about numpy, but for reasons which I have no plans to explain, I want my partner on the same version of numpy as myself. I now have the answer I need, and I do not care one more wit about a one character change.

I'm done here.