D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:28:02 +0200
Stefan Schwarzer <sschwar...@sschwarzer.net> wrote:
I'd probably reformat this to

          self.expiration_date = translate_date(
            find(response, 'MPNExpirationDate').text,
            '%Y-%m-%d', '%m%d%Y')

or even

          self.expiration_date = translate_date(
            find(response, 'MPNExpirationDate').text,
            '%Y-%m-%d',
            '%m%d%Y')

You can extend this if there are complicated sub-calls.  Probably
overkill for this example but here is the idea.

           self.expiration_date = translate_date(
             find(
               response,
              'MPNExpirationDate',
             ).text,
             '%Y-%m-%d',
             '%m%d%Y'
           )

I also moved the closing brace down to align with the line that opened
that block.

If this is supposed to convice 80+ chars users, that's an epic failure :)
This is exactly the kind of layout I'm happy to not use by not caring about the line width.

At least, if you still want to stick with 79 chars, do something like

text = find(response, 'MPNExpirationDate', ).text
self.expiration_date = translate_date(text,'%Y-%m-%d', '%m%d%Y')

JM