In article <qkoao.53872$gq5.12...@hurricane>,
 "BartC" <ba...@freeuk.com> wrote:

> >> Remember, the old hardcopy terminals used to produce 132-character-wide
> >> listings.
> >
> > Those of you who think "old hardcopy terminals" did 132 wide obviously
> > don't remember the ASR-33 :-)
>
> ASR33s I think might have been 72 columns wide (and punched cards had a
> similar restriction).

Yeah, I was trying to remember if it was 72 or 80.  Hmmm, looks like
you're right, it *is* 72 (http://www.pdp8.net/asr33/asr33.shtml).

Punched cards (at least the common ones used by an 029 or 129 punch
machine) were 80 columns.  The 72 column restriction was an artificial
one imposed by some programming languages such as Fortran.  Columns
73-80 could be used to punch a sequence number, so that if you dropped
your deck, you could re-assemble it by running it through a card sorter.

> However, lineprinter output was more likely to be 132 columns.

Yeah, but I wouldn't call a line printer a "terminal".