On Aug 18, 2:01 pm, AK <andrei....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/17/2010 10:15 PM, Russ P. wrote:
>

> > On Aug 7, 5:54 am, "D'Arcy J.M. Cain"<da...@druid.net>  wrote:
>
> >> Would said beginner also be surprised that a newborn baby is zero years
> >> old or would it be more natural to call them a one year old?  Zero
> >> based counting is perfectly natural.
>
> > You're confusing continuous and discrete variables. Time is a
> > continuous variable, but a list index is discrete.
>
> > Take a look at any numbered list, such as the top ten football teams
> > or the top ten software companies. Have you ever seen such a list
> > start with zero? If so, where? I sure haven't.
>
> > When I studied linear algebra way back, vector and matrix indices also
> > always started with one, and I assume they still do.
>
> > The convention of starting with zero may have had some slight
> > performance advantage in the early days of computing, but the huge
> > potential for error that it introduced made it a poor choice in the
> > long run, at least for high-level languages.
>
> Besides that, the way things are now, it's almost an Abbot & Costello
> routine:
>
> - How many folders are there?
> - 5
> - Ok, give me the fourth one.
> - Here.
> - No, that's the last one!
> - That's what you said!
> - No, I said, fourth one!
> - That's what I did!
> - How many are there in all?
> - I already said, five!
> - You gave me the last one!!
> - Just like you said - fourth!!!!

Yes, it's confusing. Which element of a list is the "first" element?
Wait, "first" is sometimes abbreviated as "1st". So is the 1st element
the 0 element or the 1 element? I honestly don't know.

Is the top team in the league the number 1 team -- or the number 0
team? I have yet to hear anyone call the best team the number 0 team!

Unfortunately, we're stuck with this goofy numbering system in many
languages. Fortunately, the trend is away from explicit indexing and
toward "for" loops when possible.