On Aug 18, 12:30 pm, Elizabeth D Rather <erat...@forth.com> wrote:

> >> Is this all that a heap is or is there more to it ? I have been
> >> looking for simple but complete explanation of heap for a while and
> >> not gotten to it. I think I am looking for a stack allocation on the
> >> same pattern. In a disk, a file is fragmented in many contiguous
> >> blocks and is accessed automatically.
>
> Stacks (at least as far as Forth uses them) and heaps are fundamentally
> different things.

> In Forth, they go in "data space", which might or might not be in the
> dictionary, and is almost never in a dynamically managed heap; certainly
> not on a stack.
>

> > No, they're not. Stack based languages have seen better days and Forth
> > (and the SL/1 language I supported with compilers at Bell-Northern
> > Research) were last in fashion in the 1970s. Processors seldom could
> > multitask, so it wasn't recognized that the stack could be a
> > performance bottleneck, where stack operations cannot be pipelined or
> > executed in parallel.
>

> Lol.  Forth supported multitasking on every processor it was implemented
> on in the 70's, with blazing speed compared to competitive techniques.
> I have never seen stack operations to be a bottleneck.
>

> > Forth had a snowball's chance because it forces ordinary programmers
> > to think in Reverse Polish notation and is for the above reasons hard
> > to pipeline, although of course it can be pipelined.
>
> Mostly it had a "snowball's chance" because it was never picked up by
> the CS gurus who, AFAIK, never really took a serious look at it.

Its quite possible that the criticism is unfair, but dont you think
that in part some responsibility must be borne by your organization in
not doing a good job of education ? I have looked at this book you
authored in the past few weeks and found a link for your convenience
now. This is entitled Advanced .....

http://www.amazon.com/Forth-Application-Techniques-5th-Notebook/dp/1419685767/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282175842&sr=8-1#reader_1419685767

Show me on what page does it explain how Forth implements dynamic
binding or lexical binding and takes care of the scope of definition
of the "nouns" ?

Provide me with a link, if you kindly would, that can take me to a
tutorial of Forth internals or discusses this issue.

> Cheers,
> Elizabeth

She is quite humble. Take a look at this page,

http://www.forth.com/resources/evolution/index.html

She is currently the number 1 in the forth world and if there was a
nobel prize in forth, it would go to these three.

Authors

Elizabeth D. Rather
FORTH, Inc.
5959 W. Century Blvd.
Suite 700
Los Angeles, CA 90045

Elizabeth Rather is the co-founder of FORTH, Inc. and is a leading
expert in the Forth programming language. Elizabeth was a colleague of
Chuck Moore back when he worked at NRAO in the early 1970s. During his
development of Forth, she became the second ever Forth programmer.
Since then, she has become a leading expert in the language and one of
its main proponents. Elizabeth was the chair of the ANSI Technical
Committee that produced the ANSI Standard for Forth (1994).  She is an
author of several books on Forth and gives regular training seminars
on its usage.

Donald R. Colburn

c/o Digital Media Magic
14712 Westbury Rd.
Rockville, MD 20853

Don Colburn was one of the earliest Forth users. He was one of the
founders of the Forth Interest Group, and contributed to the
development of the first public-domain figForth.  Subsequently, he
founded Creative Solutions, Inc. (CSI), which introduced MacForth™ in
1984. MacForth was the first programming language capable of running
on the Macintosh when it was first introduced.  Don was a member of
the ANSI Technical Committee that produced the ANSI Standard for Forth
(1994). He died in 2009.

Charles H. Moore
Computer Cowboys
40 Cedar Lane
P.O. Box 127
Sierra City, CA 96125

Chuck Moore is Chairman and CTO of Green Arrays, Inc. He co-founded
FORTH, Inc., in 1971 and went on to develop a Forth-based chip
(RTX2000) in the mid 1980s, derivatives of which are still being used
widely by NASA. At Computer Cowboys, Mr. Moore designed the Sh-Boom
microprocessor and then co-founded iTv, an Internet Appliance
manufacturer. During the 1990s, he used his own CAD software to design
several custom VLSI chips, including the F21 processor with a network
interface. More recently, he invented colorForth and ported his VLSI
design tools to it. Moore served as CTO for IntellaSys during
development of the S40 multi-computer chip.