On Aug 17, 6:38 pm, John Passaniti <john.passan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You asked if Forth "borrowed" lists from Lisp.  It did not.  In Lisp,
> lists are constructed with pair of pointers called a "cons cell".
> That is the most primitive component that makes up a list.  Forth has
> no such thing; in Forth, the dictionary (which is traditionally, but
> not necessarily a list) is a data structure that links to the previous
> word with a pointer.

Would you show me a picture, ascii art or whatever for Forth ? I know
what lisp lists look like so I dont need that for comparison. Forth
must have a convention and a standard or preferred practice for its
dicts. However, let me tell you that in postscript the dictionaries
can be nested inside other dictionaries and any such hiearchical
structure is a nested associative list, which is what linked list,
nested dictionaries, nested tables are.