Russ P. wrote:
It all boils down to personal preference, but I just find it strange
that we would not try to make programming as consistent as possible
with notational conventions in the literature.

It doesn't matter how much mathematical convention you quote,
your assertion that 1-based indexing is better won't convince
me, because it flies in the face of my own personal experience.

The zero-based indexing just seemed wrong to me when I first saw it.
I'm used to it by now, but it still doesn't seem quite right to me.
It's almost right -- but it's off by one. I still have a habit of
taking the "1" element when I really want the "0" element.

That may be because you haven't fully adopted 0-based indexing
into your thinking. You're trying to think in terms of 1-based
indexes and convert to 0-based when you code. If you think in
0-based indexes in the first place, many things become simpler.

--
Greg