Hey Benjamin,

 Take a look at this website I found about cached and in-memory databases.
I think the gist of the article is that caching is good if you are doing
SELECTs on data that is frequently used whereas in-memory speeds up
writes, (inserts and updates) to the db as well as querying. Maybe I am
missing something?

http://www.mcobject.com/in_memory_database

Denis