On 03/09/2010 00:56, Virgil Stokes wrote:
On 09/02/2010 08:15 PM, Hidura wrote:
But what kind of data you want to download?, because the financial
time it's basicly html code and you can work very well with a parser

2010/9/2, Virgil Stokes<v...@it.uu.se>:
Has anyone written code or worked with Python software for downloading
financial time series data (e.g. from Yahoo financial)? If yes, would
you
please contact me.

--Thanks,
V. Stokes

Here is a snippet of python code that I am trying to use for downloading
financial data; but, I do not understand why it returns information from
the second HTML page.

import urllib2
'''
I am trying to read each row of the table at:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cp?s=^GSPC
'''
ticker = []
url =
urllib2.urlopen("http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv...@%5egspc&f=sl1d1t1c1ohgv&e=.csv&h=PAGE".replace('PAGE',
str(0)))
data = url.read()

Note, it does get all 50 rows of the first page; but, why does it also
get the first row of the "next" HTML page?

Did you try downloading from a browser? That also returns an extra row.

Looks like an idiosyncrasy of the site.