On 23/09/2010 16:41, Greg Lindstrom wrote:
I am not intending to start anything, here, but would like to know if
any consensus has been reached in how to distribute Python modules.

Hi Greg,

The following shows a pattern that's working well for me:

https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/errorhandler/trunk

The "work" is in setup.py.

The development docs are here:

http://packages.python.org/errorhandler/development.html

Ignore the sphinx and buildout stuff if you're not using them, although I find both extremely valuable...

Specifically, I'd like to use something to install packages on various
machines in our enterprise (mostly Linux, but some windows boxes, too).

With the above, I'd do:

python setup.py sdist

...and then put the resulting sdist in a folder served by Apache.

To install on a given box, I'd then do:

easy_install --find-links=http://yourserver/your/folder yourpackage

Using setuptools for the setup.py means you can specify any other packages your need via the install_requires parameter .

I'd suggestion buildout or virtualenv for deploying to the servers too, installing into the system python's site-packages is yucky and means all projects on one box have to use the same versions of the same libraries...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk