Tim Harig, 17.01.2011 13:25:
If I didn't think Python was a good language, I wouldn't be here.
Nevertheless, it isn't a good fit for many pieces of software where a
systems language is better suited.  Reasons include ease of distribution
without an interpeter, non-necessity of distributing source with the
product, ability to leverage multiple CPU and multicore systems, and
simple sequential performance.

Given that Python does't work well in many areas, we could just give up
and accept having to write C++ for our day jobs or we can look for a
language which bridges the gap between those tasks that require C++'s
level of control and those which work well for dynamic languages.
Java attempted to do that, and has the market share to show that the
concept works, but I think that it missed the mark for many needs.  It is
still much lower level then Python for purposes of rapid developement
and too slow to be competative for non-long-lived tasks.

So seriously need to take a look at Cython.

http://cython.org

Stefan