On 01/22/2011 03:22 PM, Rikishi42 wrote:

I'm in need for a graphical pop-up that will display a (unicode ?) string in
a field, allow the user to change it and return the modified string.

Maybe also keep the original one displayed above it.

Something like this:
|   Please confirm or edit the following string   |
|                                                 |
|     Original_example_string                     |
|                                                 |
|  +-------------------------------------------+  |
|  |  Original_about_to_be_changed             |  |
|  +-------------------------------------------+  |
|                                                 |
|                     OK                          |
|                                                 |

I've never used any kind of graphical interface programing before, so I
don't have a clue where to start.
This would, however, be the *only* GUI part in the app at this point.

From what I can see the solution lays with PyQT, but the docs I find are
courses that aim to teach the whole GUI tool. I only need a little pop-up to
alow a user to edit part of a filename, for instance.

I'm using Python 2.6.x on various Linux platforms (mainly openSUSE and Mint)
and on Windows. Windows support is not important, in this case.

If that is all you need, I suggest Tkinter. Nice and easy, comes built into Python. Looks like you need two labels, an entry, and a button. When I was learning Tkinter I used http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/.

Hope it helped,
~Corey