Wanderer wrote:
I have a bunch of cameras I want to run tests on. They each have
different drivers and interfaces. What I want to do is create python
wrappers so that they all have a common interface and can be called by
the same python test bench program. I'm not sure what to call it. I
don't think it's inheritance. Maybe there is no official thing here
and I just need to brute force my way through it. Is there some
programming methodology I should be using?

Thanks
I guess Interface/Abstract classes are what you are searching for.

# Camera is the interface/abstract base class of all cameras.
# it defines all the function that a Camera needs to implement.
class Camera(object):
   def printCameraType(self):
      # This code is common to all Cameras
      print self.__class__.__name__

   def shutdown(self):
# an abstract method raises NotImplementedError and does not implement anything # however it indicates to all child classes what they need to implement.
      raise NotImplementedError()

# One implementation of a Camera
class ATypeOfCamera(Camera):
   def shutdown():
print 'I am implementing the shutdown for that very specific Camera type'
      return 0

class AnotherTypeOfCamera(Camera):
   def shutdown():
      print 'Shutting down with the proper implementation'
      return 0

Now here is what you test bench whould look like:

from camera import ATypeOfCamera, AnotherTypeOfCamera

for cameraType in [ATypeOfCamera, AnotherTypeOfCamera]:
   myCam = cameraType()
   myCam.printCameraType()
   myCam.shutdown()

JM