(pulls out doctorate in Math.) Take a circle and measure its diameter, then
circumference (coffee cans and string are helpful). Then

pi = Circumference/diameter

approximating that is hard. It turns out that even though it *looks* like a
nice fraction, the value that results is not (fractions of integers have the
charming property that they always repeat, for instance 22/7 = 3.142857 142857
142857 142857 142857... Pi does not. Again this was a very hard question only
answered in the 18th century by Lambert, I do believe.)

It is the simple "fractional" look about pi vs. how hard it is to compute that
drives most of the confusion about pi. The digits of pi are in effectively
random order (each digit occur roughly 10% of the time), and to compute the nth
one you need all the digits before it. Once upon a time (and maybe still)
sending back and forth long strings of the digits of pi was a great way to test
communications, since each side could look up the result in a table and tell if
there were systematic errors. There are fun math questions, for instance, is
there a run of a million 1's someplace in the decimal expansion of pi? Maybe
so, but we just don't know, since we've only computed the first trillion or so
digits. Computing pi also requires a lot of logistical organization too and
cranking out the first several hundred million digits is still often used to
test systems.

FWIW my favorite approximation is 355/113. I can always seem to remember that
one the best...

Jeff