>Sending POST data can be done as follows (I'm changing bar=foo to
Thanks for this, and the links.

On 4/4/2011 12:24 AM, Chris Rebert wrote:
On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 10:36 PM, Littlefield, Tyler<ty...@tysdomain.com>  wrote:
Hello:
I have some data that needs to be fed through a html form to get validated
and processed and the like. How can I use python to send data through that
form, given a specific url? the form says it uses post, but I"m not really
sure what the difference is.
They're different HTTP request methods:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertext_Transfer_Protocol#Request_methods

The key upshot in this case is that GET requests place the parameters
in the URL itself, whereas POST requests place them in the body of the
request.

would it just be:
http://mysite.com/bla.php?foo=bar&bar=foo?
No, that would be using GET.

If so, how do I do that with python?
Sending POST data can be done as follows (I'm changing bar=foo to
bar=qux for greater clarity):

from urllib import urlopen, urlencode

form_data = {'foo' : 'bar', 'bar' : 'qux'}
encoded_data = urlencode(form_data)
try:
     # 2nd argument to urlopen() is the POST data to send, if any
     f = urlopen('http://mysite.com/bla.php', encoded_data)
     result = f.read()
finally:
     f.close()