Steven D'Aprano wrote:
The reason Mono gets hit (from others besides me) is that they are in
>  partnership and collaboration with Microsoft, consciously and
>  unconsciously. This must be punished.
Just like Python, Apache, and the Linux kernel. What are you going to do
to punish them?

What do you mean 'just like"....?    They are nothing alike.

(which is why the community is upset by sone, but not the others: hint)

The punishment? ... withdraw support and use of the project as well as continue to aggressively support activism in all areas of freedom for computer science, including but not limited to the following:

1) I, nor my family, will ever purchase another Microsoft anything, from anyone, connected in any way, nor for any reason. Microsoft gets no more money from me, ever.

2) I do not use non-free software at any level nor for any reason at any time regardless of pain or inconvenience.

3) I work hard to advocate for free software alternatives to proprietary software at all levels... including bios and firmware.

4) I help to fund free software initiatives, choices, and development; conversely I refuse to fund (in any way) proprietary software initiatives and projects.

5) I educate the public in my sphere of influence for freedom and freedom choices, including the software engineering venue, and whenever possible persuade users of non-free software and Microsoft collaborative software to use only free software and only frameworks that are removed from Microsoft direction and control.

6) I actively advocate with vendors of free software at all levels to drop non-free software from their distros and to similarly punish Microsoft collaborative software initiatives and projects. (networking, communication, education, awareness training)

7) I write lots and lots of letters... to computer distributors, software houses, &etc., with the message of freedom; a plea for the openness of a free society and sanity in the marketplace of ideas. I make my marketing intentions clear to vendors who would like me to spend my dollars with them ( cards, drivers, printers, cameras, comp hardware desk, notebook, netbook, others) clearly indicating that their products must be open, not require Microsoft proprietary drivers, and be free from non-free software and firmware.

Freedom isn't free... you have to fight for it... always.