On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 4:10 AM, Prasad, Ramit
<ramit.pra...@jpmchase.com> wrote:
>>>We also, though, need *real* URLs. Blind URLs through obfuscation
>>>services have their uses, but surely not in a forum like this. The real
>>>URL is <URL:http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2588262>.
>
> I remember reading a news article where a man was arrested (or was it fired)
> for pornography because he clicked a link. I would *REALLY* prefer not to be
> 4chan-ed into jail (or fired) because I could not safely tell what a
> shortened URL really pointed to. Besides, shortened URLs do not live as long
> and are more likely to fail when people search the archives.

I've seen FAR more dead links than dead URL shortening services. It's
a lot more likely that the destination will go down than that the
tinyurl service will lose its data.

If you're worried about where you're going, grab a URL renderer;
TinyURL.com has "preview mode" which you can set with a cookie, and
for others, all you need is something which takes a URL off the
clipboard, requests it, gets the Location: header, and puts that on
the clipboard for you. I coded such a facility into my MUD client
(RosMud), because shortened URLs are important when lines are limited
to 80 characters (less some overhead); it'd be quite easy to build a
little Python-GTK or Python-TK app that gives you a nice window and
makes it easy.

Chris Angelico