On 7/27/2011 8:38 AM, rantingrick wrote:
On Jul 27, 10:06 am, "W. eWatson"<wolftra...@invalid.com>  wrote:
It's been many months since I played with Python, and have forgotten how
to bring up IDLE. If I simply click on a py file, I see what may be a
dos window appear and quickly disappear.

"Double-clicking" a [py|pyw] file in windows will auto run the file
(considering you have not changed the association). So if you're
trying to edit the file you'll want to try something else.

If I right-click on the file,
and select IDLE, the same thing happens.

You mean "Right-Click ->  Send-To-IDLE"?
A right-click gives me two choices. Edit with IDLE or Open With. The first produces nothing, or something so quick that I do not see it. The second gives me a choice of python.exe, Notepad, or Choose Default Program. None of these are helpful.

If I go directly to All
Programs, the same thing happens when I select IDLE.

You mean "Start_Menu ->  All_Programs ->  PythonX.X ->  IDLE_(Python
GUI)"? Yes typically that is how you'd run IDLE form a winders box.
Yes, that's what I do, but again the result is essentially nothing.

If you want to edit a python script then first open an editor and then
navigate to the file. There is also a "RightClick ->  Open-with-IDLE"
option also but i prefer to navigate from my editor.
Edit with IDLE as above. Doesn't work. No editor appears.

However it sounds like you may be experiencing a bug (or configuration
issue). Can you capture the "dos" error with the print screen button
and post it here? You'll have to be quick to catch it!
Way too fast.

Also try to run IDLE from this path:
...\PythonXX\Lib\idlelib {double click PyShell.py}
It stays up for about 1/2 second.

If I run cmd.exe and work my way down to .../idlelib, I find nothing but idle.bat. strange. Hidden? I can get into line mode by using python.exe. That is, I can type in print "abc", and get a result.

Baffling.