There's really not enough information for us to debug this, but one possibility
is that your subprocess is using buffered I/O; you're expecting the external
task to write a string, but it doesn't actually write that string because it's
sitting in a buffer.  First thing to try is to see if the program accepts some
kind of command line argument to run in unbuffered mode (for instance, if you
are calling a Python interpreter you can pass it the -u switch to force
unbuffered I/O).  If (like most programs) it doesn't have an option to disable
buffering, you can try running it on a pty device (if you're on Unix).  If
worse comes to worst, see if there's a way to get the external task to print
lots of extra output (a verbosity setting, for instance); that could work in a
pinch until you can debug it more thoroughly.

Carl Banks