On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Ben Finney <ben+pyt...@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> David Robinow <drobi...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Ben Finney <ben+pyt...@benfinney.id.au>
>> wrote:
>> > I don't know about MS Windows, but the Python interactive shell can be
>> > linked with the GNU Readline library for managing its command line
>> > <URL:http://docs.python.org/library/readline.html>
> […]
>
>> > Reading the documentation, I see that the ‘readline’ library is only
>> > linked with Python on Unix-alike operating systems.
>
>>  I'm not sure what documentation you're reading
>
> The same documentation I linked to above. Immediately below the title,
> it specifies a limited set of platforms: “Platforms: Unix” limiting the
> availability of the described module.
>
>> but your code works fine on Windows. Thanks.
>
> I'm glad to know that. Perhaps you could investigate why, and suggest an
> update to the above documentation if it's wrong? The bug tracker at
> <URL:http://bugs.python.org/> would be the appropriate place for such a
> suggestion.

Upon further investigation, it turns out that I'm using pyreadline
from http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyreadline. I'd forgotten I'd
installed it. No documentation fixes appear to be necessary.

"The pyreadline package is a python implementation of GNU readline
functionality it is based on the ctypes based UNC readline package by
Gary Bishop. It is not complete. It has been tested for use with
windows 2000 and windows xp."
  It appears to work in Vista also, at least for the purposes
discussed in this thread.