On 11/17/2011 6:45 PM, Chris Rebert wrote:
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 6:18 PM, John Ladasky<lada...@my-deja.com>  wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm trying to write tidy, modular code which includes a long-running process.
From time to time I MIGHT like to check in on the progress being made by that
long-running process, in various ways.  Other times, I'll just want to let it
run.  So I have a section of code which, generally, looks like this:

def _pass(*args):
    pass

def long_running_process(arg1, arg2, arg_etc, report = _pass):
    result1 = do_stuff()
    report(result1)
    result2 = do_some_different_stuff()
    report(result2)
    result3 = do_even_more_stuff()
    report(result3)
    return result3

This does what I want.  When I do not specify a report function, the process
simply runs.  Typically, when I do supply a report function, it would print
something to stdout, or draw an update through a GUI.

But this approach seems a tad cumbersome and unPythonic to me, particularly the
part where I define the function _pass() which accepts an arbitrary argument
list, and does nothing but... pass.

Seems fine to me (good use of the null object pattern), although I
might define _pass() to instead take exactly 1 argument, since that's
all you ever call report() with in your example.

This has led me to ask the question, what exactly IS pass?  I played with the
interpreter a bit.

IDLE 2.6.6      ==== No Subprocess ====
pass
pass()
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
type(pass)
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

So, pass does not appear to be a function, nor even an object.  Is it nothing
more than a key word?

It is a keyword that can appear in a position where a statement is required by the grammar but there is nothing to do. For example if .. then .. else .. where nothing happens in the else condition is effectively:

  if <condition>:
        <then-part>
  else:
        pass

Bourne shell has a similar construct with the colon statement :

Another python example is where you need to catch an exception (or all exceptions but don't actually care about what they are)

  try:
     <european swallows>
  except:
     pass

Correct:
http://docs.python.org/reference/simple_stmts.html#pass
http://docs.python.org/reference/lexical_analysis.html#keywords

Cheers,
Chris

--
Dominic Binks: dbi...@codeaurora.org
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum