On 12/22/2011 1:21 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 09:53:04 -0800, "W. eWatson"
<wolftra...@invalid.com>  wrote:

I have three py libs and the python program itself, 2.52, installed on
an 6 year old HP Laptop. I decided to remove them, and took removed
Python with the Control Panel ?Add/Remove icon. Worked fine. When I try
to remove any of the remaining libs, press the add/remove button does
nothing but blink. How  do I get around this  problem?

        It would probably have been better to remove the libraries first
(especially if their installers /used/ Python to do the install; the
uninstaller would then likely also have used that version of Python). In
short, uninstalling a set of related packages should be done in the
reverse order of how they were installed.

        If you don't have anything private stored in the remains of the
Python2.5.2 install directory... Just delete the entire directory tree
(which should get rid of any left-over files from the other libraries).

        Removing them from the Add/Remove control might be achieved by using
a registry cleaner; if not, manually scanning the registry for those
package names and deleting the registry keys may suffice (back up the
registry first -- export everything from the top down). Then run a
registry cleaner, as there may be stray GUID keys that eventually mapped
to the deleted keys.

        Lets see.... {booting even older WinXP laptop -- I'm using a Win7
laptop with data-card for current online activity}

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\...

        Look for the particular packages (and anything else you may also
have removed just in case something got left behind) and delete the
keys. (Interesting -- I have an entry for wxPython, but no entry for
Python or ActiveState... They may be stuffed elsewhere -- I also seem to
have a corrupted search path; maybe happened last time I tried using the
laptop to debug one of your queries; Pythonwin isn't finding win32ui)

I think this turns out to be something of a laugher. I did re-install Python 2.5.2; however, the action was similar when I tried to remove the libs. I happened to move the screen slightly, and noticed a small hidden dialog behind the Add/Remove screen with a message in it. "Are you sure you want to remove this program?". Argh. How foolish it was to hide that simple dialog. So hitting the add/remove button repeatedly really was useless.