On 12/30/2011 12:23 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 03:55:14 -0800, Eelco wrote:

I would argue that the use of single special characters to signal a
relatively complex and uncommon construct is exactly what I am trying to
avoid with this proposal.

This would be the proposal to change the existing

     head, *tail = sequence

to your proposed:

     head, tail:: = ::sequence

(when happy with the default list for tail), or

     head, tail::tuple = ::sequence

to avoid an explicit call to "tail = tuple(tail)" after the unpacking.

Either way, with or without an explicit type declaration on the left hand
side, you are increasing the number of punctuation characters from one to
four. If your aim is to minimize the number of punctuation characters,
you're doing it wrong.

Another drawback of it is that it looks misleadingly similar to C++ namespace notation.