On 2012-01-23 20:57, Dave Angel wrote:

You have it backward. The question is not what you do inside your loop to give
tk a chance, but rather what do you do to make tk give you a chance. tk
doesn't "start" till you make the mainloop() method call, and once you call
that method, it won't return till the program is exiting.

So, forget about input statements inside some loop. Input isn't a gui concept,
it's for console apps. Gui apps use dialog boxes and such. Similarly sleep().
mainloop() will sleep, when there are no events in its queue. If you want to
do work, break it into manageable chunks, and attach each chunk to some event
that tk will fire.

The input statements were there for debugging purpose... I now have got it running without any sleep or input, I simply added a tk.update() in the loop. It works for updating the window, but when I add buttons to that frame, they are quite unresponsive. I'm starting to think I need to split off the reading part into a different thread.

--
Yves.                                                  http://www.SollerS.ca/
                                                       http://ipv6.SollerS.ca