In article
<32945367.2045.1335029313436.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@ynjn4>,
 someone <wesbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm not going to do your homework for you (nor do I expect anybody else
will), but I'll give you a hint about one sticky part.

> 6) Display the SHI data read from the file in the interpreter with a border
> around the SHI data (include a buffer of 1 line/space between the border and
> SHI data). An example might look like:
>
>       ***********************
>       *                     *
>       * First Name and Last *
>       * ENGR 109-X          *
>       * Fall 2999           *
>       * Format Example      *
>       *                     *
>       ***********************

You can take advantage of python's string formatting capabilities (which
are pretty much the same as C's printf() formatting), and do something
like:

print  "* %-*s *" % (max_length, data)

That will at least get you the data left-justified with the correct
number of spaces for padding.  See
http://docs.python.org/library/stdtypes.html#string-formatting for
details.  You'll need to compute max_length by applying len() to each of
the individual strings in turn, and picking the largest of them with
max().