Just hit a snag:

In cPython the deterministic garbage collection allows me a particular optimization when retrieving records from a dbf file -- namely, by using weakrefs I can tell if the record is still in memory and active, and if so not hit the disk to get the data; with PyPy (and probably the others) this doesn't work because the record may still be around even when it is no longer active because it hasn't been garbage collected yet.

For PyPy I can use `'PyPy' in sys.version` to set a constant (REFRESH_FROM_DISK in this case) to disable the cPython optimization; does anyone know what strings to look for for the other implementations?

~Ethan~