Sounds like you may be using this on a Windows machine.  <If> the code is
functional, it is best practice to close the port first before openiing it.
If due to an error, usually not syntax, the port will stay stuck open until
the program is closed and reopened.  I have used the Python serial port
(serial.py?) with good results.

Paul Simon