I'm getting towards an actual non-beta release, which means even more tests, polishings, cleaning up of various things, and actual documentation. :)

However, I am wondering about my current record API:

Currently, one does things like:

  record.scatter_fields()

or

  record.has_been_deleted

or

  record.record_number

The reason those method names are so long is that field names are limited to 10 characters, and long method names means no possibility of name clashes.

Unfortunately, Version 7 tables can have much longer field names.

So, do I not ever support version 7, do I not worry about it until I get there (which could easily be a long time from now), or do I move all the methods out of the record class and make them module level functions instead? That would like:

  dbf.scatter_fields(record)

  dbf.has_been_deleted(record)

  dbf.record_number(record)

although probably with shorter names.