Julio Sergio wrote:
Jose H. Martinez <josehmartinezz <at> gmail.com> writes:

You should define the function first and then call it.

 def something(i):     return i

a = something(5)

If you want a reference to the function somewhere else you can do this:

I know that. That was what I meant by "changing the order of the definitions will work" in my original message.

And I insist in the issue, which is not trivial... In my message I mentioned "crossed recursion", and I delve into it here:

Suppose I have to define two functions, aa, and, bb that are designed to call each other:

  def aa():
     ... a call of bb() somewhere in the body of aa

  def bb():
     ... a call of aa() somewhere in the body of bb

Whatever the order of definition of aa and bb the problem remains

No.  The reply from MRAB explains this.

~Ethan~