On 29/06/2012 18:19, Josh English wrote:
On Friday, June 29, 2012 10:02:45 AM UTC-7, MRAB wrote:

The ".format" method accepts multiple arguments, so the placeholders in
the format string need to specify which argument to format as well as
how to format it (the format specification after the ":").

The "format" function, on the other hand, accepts only a single
argument to format, so it needs only the format specification, and
therefore can't accept subscripting or attributes.

 >>> c = "foo"
 >>> print "{0:s}".format(c)
foo
 >>> format(c, "s")
'foo'

Thank you. That's beginning to make sense to me. If I understand this,
> everything between the braces is the format specification,
and the format specification doesn't include the braces, right?

No, the format specification is the part after the ":" (if present), as
in the example.

Here are more examples:

>>> c = "foo"
>>> print "{0}".format(c)
foo
>>> format(c, "")
'foo'
>>> print "To 2 decimal places: {0:0.2f}".format(1.2345)
To 2 decimal places: 1.23
>>> print format(1.2345, "0.02f")
1.23