On 7/11/2012 11:53 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 21:05:30 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

{non sequitur: I still recall my archaic C++ class with the OOAD
assignment of designing said calculator -- we never had to implement
one, just design the basic classes/methods/attributes [on 3x5 cards] for
a four-banger. I managed to persuade the team I was on that an RPN
calculator would be simpler to (potentially) implement... And THEN
persuaded them to NOT use the equivalent of an ALU class, but to put the
math work into each operation button...

"ALU class"?

Googling gives me no clue.

4th hit: Arithmetic Logic Unit (hardware) -- Wikipedia
ALU class -- software version or simulation thereof.

The hardware version of Dennis's distributed design would be interesting. Spreadsheets are based in part on the same idea of distributed logic and arithmetic.

--
Terry Jan Reedy