Andrew Berg wrote:
On 7/15/2012 9:38 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
I would expect None to mean "doesn't exist" or "unknown" or
something like that - e.g., a value of 0 means 0 jelly beans in the jar
and None means there isn't a jar.

How you interpret some_variable = None depends on what some_variable represents. If some_variable represents "number of jelly beans in a jar", then that should be 0 if there is no jar.

What is None supposed to mean then, and what should I do when I have to
make a distinction between "doesn't exist" and "empty"? Sure, if I need
to count the total number of jelly beans in all my stores, the
distinction is meaningless, but if I need to find out which stores sell
jelly beans so I know which stores need to be restocked, the distinction
is quite important.

I'm not sure what Steven was trying to say there, but for me:

jar with no jellybeans == 0

no jar == None

~Ethan~