On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Jayden <jayden.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Python is under GPL compatible. If I develop a python code, convert it to
> executable and distribute the executable as a commercial software. May I need
> to make my source code open?
>
> If python is under GPL, is the answer different? Thanks a lot!!
> --

"GPL compatible" is not a license. It's a quality of the license.
Python's license is compatible with the GPL, which means that you can
use Python in software licensed under the GPL

Python's license (which is available at
http://docs.python.org/license.html ) does not require Python code to
be open source, nor does it prohibit commercial use.

And even if Python was under the GPL, you would still be able to
release your own programs without opening the source. You just
wouldn't be able to modify Python without releasing your changes.
That's how the userland in Mac OS X is still closed-source despite
being compiled with GCC.