On Thu, 11 Oct 2012, Wayne Werner wrote:

So here's where things got weird. I could call `subprocess.check_output(['hg', 'root'])`, and things worked just fine. But when I added the env parameter, I got the untrusted issues. So if I did:

import os, subprocess

# Works just fine
subprocess.check_output(['hg', 'root'])

# Gives untrusted issues
subprocess.check_output(['hg', 'root'], env=os.environ)

So... curiouser and curiouser - it looks like it's not *actually* execve's fault after all. I just compiled the code from the man page, tweaked it to run 'hg root', and passed it a new environment. No problems. Well, then I manually called the posix one from Python and thing worked fine. *Then* I actually tried the above code, and *it* worked fine.

However I *still* get problems with the post-review code. So it looks like when I get back to work on Monday I'll be looking to see what the difference in environment is there.

-Wayne