On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Joshua Landau
<joshua.landau...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13 October 2012 22:44, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Joshua Landau
>> <joshua.landau...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > With two irritants (including 88888), is it not advisable that
>> > python-list
>> > gets an admin to block these accounts? Even if it does nothing more than
>> > slow them, that's something.
>>
>> That's what killfiles are for. You have two options:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_file
>> http://bofh.ch/bofh/bsmh2.html
>>
>> The first option is not perfect, as you'll still see replies that
>> quote such people's posts. The second has a few issues with local law
>> enforcement, but other than that, is a very effective means of
>> avoiding seeing their posts.
>

> The first's no good for protecting the newbies though. If troll flames
> newbie, then I want to be able to assure newbie that he's not done anything
> wrong or stupid.
>
> The second is a bit better, definitely, but what I'm wanting is to delegate
> these tasks to python-list's admins. I'm lazy, see.

Agreed, defending newbies is important. But not everyone gets
frustrated at trolls. Those who don't, don't bother to killfile them,
and can respond in defense of the newbies. Also, if two or three
non-trolls respond to the original post, the angry troll is only one
of several, which helps dilute the problem a bit. Still not a
solution, but it helps.

ChrisA