tinn...@isbd.co.uk writes:
> I want to fix an error in some code I have installed, however I don't
> really want to just bodge it. ...
> Now its *probably* something higher up the tree causing the problem
> (it's only one particular image in 20 thousand or so that breaks
> things) but I really want to just get things working.

That means you do really want to just bodge it, doesn't it?  (I'm
reading "bodge" as something like "kludge" but maybe it means something
different.)

> So, what's the neatest way to protect the get_text() method from empty
> data?

I'd say the use of None as a picture is already a code smell: figure out
where it is coming from, and fix it.  Or, if you want to just bodge it
(by checking for None and returning the empty string or something)),
then try it and see if it helps.  I'm assuming this is something
noncritical that you're running on your own computer for convenience.  I
wouldn't ship code to a customer without a more careful fix.