On Nov 13, 2012, at 11:41 PM, Roy Smith <r...@panix.com> wrote:

> In article <mailman.3664.1352867713.27098.python-l...@python.org>,
> w...@mac.com wrote:
>
>> I need to time the operation of a command-line utility (specifically
>> nslookup) from within a python program I'm writing.
>
> Ugh.  Why are you doing this?  Shelling out to nslookup is an incredibly
> slow and clumsy way of doing name translation.  What you really want to
> be doing is calling getaddrinfo() directly.
>
> See http://docs.python.org/2/library/socket.html#socket.getaddrinfo for
> details.
> --
Because, unless I'm badly mistaken (very possible), getaddrinfo doesn't let me
specify the server from which the name is returned. I'm really not after the
name, what I'm REALLY after is the fact that a path exists to the name server I
specify (and how long it takes to respond). In the "good old days" I would just
have ping'd it, but these days more and more DNS boxes (and servers of all
sorts) are shutting off their ping response.

Thanks, Bill