On 11/23/2012 1:46 PM, Roy Smith wrote:
My command either takes two positional arguments (in which case, both
are required):

$ command foo bar

or the name of a config file (in which case, the positional arguments
are forbidden):

$ command --config file

How can I represent this with argparse; add_mutually_exclusive_group()
isn't quite the right thing.  It could specify that foo and --config are
mutually exclusive, but not (as far as I can see) the more complicated
logic described above.

Make the two positional arguments be one duple?
Or tell argparse that all three are optional and handle the 'more complicated logic' in your own code after argparse returns.

--
Terry Jan Reedy